THE HEINER AFFAIR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to say nothing (with apologies to Edmund Burke)

Bruce Grundy
Former Adjunct Professor of Journalism, The University of Queensland, and former editor of The Weekend Independent and Independent Monthly

Thank goodness for Doug Ensbey. He said his piece about the DPP’s decision (via some QC) not to press charges against the Heiner document shredders. Good for you Doug.

But, meanwhile, a host of serving judges, former judges, members of the Bar Association, lawyers of all kinds, and academics, past and present politicians and others scrap fiercely over the appointment of Carmody as CJ, yet not one as far as I can tell, not one, has said a single word about the outrageous attack on our rule of law that the Heiner shredders perpetrated and got away with, nor a single word against the cover-up, the lies and deceit entered into by a battalion of lawyers, public servants and politicians that has led us to the DPP’s decision.

They all scurry off to their burrows and fail to say a single word about what happened to Doug Ensbey that did not happen to the politicians and their mates who all got off because they had the power to deal with people like Doug and to look the other way (and look after themselves) when politicians committed offences.

What an appalling joke they all are.

What a dreadful state of affairs we are in.

Reports from The Independent Monthly >>>>>

Grundy submissions to inquiries >>>>>


The Brisbane Times

Man 'jailed' for destroying evidence staggered by Heiner no trial ruling

Date July 2, 2014
A man who in 2004 received a six-month suspended jail term for destroying legal evidence “is staggered” the Queensland government has ruled it is not in the public interest to send former ministers who allegedly destroyed Heiner Inquiry evidence to trial.

Now Pastor Doug Ensbey wants privileges removed from the Goss Government ministers.

He said they should be fined $100,000 and the money given to whistleblower Kevin Lindeberg, who first questioned why the Heiner documents were shredded.

“If I was Premier – and I could do it – I would fine each of them $100,000 and I would put the money into a fund to pay [whistleblower] Kevin Lindeberg,” he said on Wednesday.

Queensland’s new chief justice Tim Carmody last year ruled there was sufficient evidence to put Goss Government ministers on trial for shredding evidence gathered by retired magistrate Noel Heiner during an inquiry into a youth centre in 1989.

He asked the Office of the Department of Public Proesecutions to rule if sending the former politicians to trial was in the public interest.
On Wednesday afternoon Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie announced it was now unlikely the ministers could be convicted.

The evidence was shredded in March 1990 – after the new Labor government came to power - on the advice of the Goss cabinet.

Full report here >>>>>


The Australian

An Injudicious Revolt

June 27, 2014 - 12.00AM

Chris Merritt

LAST Friday Paul de Jersey was clearly gambling that his standing within the legal profession would put an end to the revolt against his replacement as Chief Justice of Queensland. He was wrong.
In parts of the legal profession the antipathy towards incoming chief justice Tim Carmody has ­become even more forthright in the days since de Jersey’s call for peace.

The affair has divided judges and lawyers. Some passionately believe they are duty-bound to step up their campaign to dislodge Carmody because, in their view, he is unfit for office.

Those on the other side of this argument might not necessarily describe themselves as Carmody’s supporters, but they believe just as strongly that it is not up to judges and lawyers to overturn an appointment to the judiciary by the executive branch of government.

This is more than a spat between lawyers. Unless resolved, it means Queensland is fast approaching a turning point that could have adverse consequences for state institutions and, possibly, the separation of powers.

Full report here >>>>>


The Courier-Mail
Brisbane lawyer Michael Bosscher facing disciplinary proceedings

Lindeberg's lawyer Michael Bosscher facing disciplinary proceedingPROMINENT Brisbane criminal lawyer Michael Bosscher is facing disciplinary proceedings Photo: Supplied

PROMINENT Brisbane criminal lawyer Michael Bosscher is facing disciplinary proceedings for tendering an inquiry document containing untrue “scurrilous allegations’’ against a judge.
Mr Bosscher failed to have the disciplinary proceedings brought against him kept out of the public eye, after his application for a non-publication order was rejected.
The Legal Services Commission has applied to Queensland Civil and Administration Tribunal for Mr Bosscher to be disciplined for professional misconduct or unsatisfactory professional conduct.
Mr Bosscher has denied the allegations against him, saying in tribunal submissions he did not endorse any allegation or assert the truthfulness of any allegation in the document.
It concerns the document “The Rofe QC Audit of the Heiner affair’’, which he tendered to the Child Protection Commission of Inquiry, conducted by Chief Magistrate Tim Carmody.
The tendered document included an allegation of corruption against Court of Appeal Justice Cate Holmes, when she was a barrister assisting the Forde Commission of Inquiry, the tribunal heard.

Full report here >>>>>


The Brisbane Times

CMC can't probe Heiner affair delays

Date June 2, 2014 - 8:46AM

Kevin Lindeberg, in January 2014, lodging a request that the CMC investigate the shredding of cabinet documents in 1990Kevin Lindeberg, in January 2014, lodging a request that the CMC investigate the shredding of cabinet documents in 1990. Photo: Supplied
Queensland’s independent corruption body cannot investigate why it took 23 years to find out why Heiner Inquiry documents - legally requested by a solicitor - were destroyed by state cabinet in 1990, because it “may not be perceived as independent”.
In his July 2013 findings Commissioner Tim Carmody found the inquiry documents, legally requested by Ipswich solicitor Ian Berry in 1989 and 1990, were illegally shredded on March 5, 1990.

Whistleblower Kevin Lindeberg subsequently lodged a request in January for a full investigation into why an inquiry had taken 23 years to find that cabinet shredded the documents when he first asked the Criminal Justice Commission to investigate the claim in 1990.
On May 15 this year, Crime and Misconduct Commissions acting chair Ken Levy wrote back to Mr Lindeberg to explain the CMC could not investigate because it may not be seen as independent.
“The Commission is of the view that, as the matter has been investigated by the former Criminal Justice Commission and reviewed by the Crime and Misconduct Commission, it may not be perceived as independent to undertake the review sought by you,” Dr Levy writes.
Dr Levy has now returned Mr Lindeberg’s request for a full investigation into why cabinet originally shredded the inquiry documents to Attorney-General, Jarrod Bleijie.

Full report here >>>>>


2014 Supreme Court rejects appeal against Commissioner Carmody’s Findings

On 4 April 2014 Supreme Court rejects appeal against Commissioner Carmody’s Findings

Justice rejects former attorney general Dean Wells appeal to the supreme court for his role in the illegal shredding of evidence
Justice Glenn Martin rejects Dean Wells appeal.

On 1 July 2013 Commissioner Tim Carmody SC found that the shredding of the Heiner Inquiry documents and tapes represented a prima facie breach of the section 129 of the Criminal Code against all the surviving members of the 5 March 1990 Goss Cabinet.
This was hardly a surprise to anyone with knowledge of this scandal. For years, some of this nation’s most eminent jurists have long publicly advised of this prima facie breach but the respective Goss/Beattie and Bligh regimes, CJC/CMC, police and DPP turned a blind eye to the glaringly obvious.
The serious prima facie crime Commissioner Carmody found was the same offence which whistleblower Kevin Lindeberg took to the CJC in 1990 and to the police in 1994. Back in 1990, the offence attracted a 3-year jail term; now in 2014, it attracts a 7-year jail term. By any measure, the crime of destroying evidence, if proven, is a serious one.
The two decades of alleged cover-up still remain unaddressed.
On 19 July 2013, Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie referred the finding to the Queensland DPP to decide whether or not it was in the public interest for those surviving Cabinet Ministers to stand trial. In exercising his legal right, former Goss Attorney-General, Dean Wells, lodged a Supreme Court appeal on 29 July 2013 seeking to have the finding rendered null and void on various grounds, including a charge of apprehended bias against Commissioner Carmody

Full article here >>>>>


WHISTLEBLOWER KEVIN LINDEBERG’S 8 AUGUST 2013 COMMENTARY RE POST-CARMODY INQUIRY’S 1 JULY 2013 FINDING OF PRIMA FACIE BREACH OF SECTION 129 OF THE CRIMINAL CODE RE SHREDDING OF THE HEINER INQUIRY DOCUMENTS AND TAPES

Whistleblower Kevin Lindeberg – Former public sector trade union organiser
Whistleblower Kevin Lindeberg – Former public sector trade union organiser

Q: ARE YOU SAYING THAT COMMISSIONER CARMODY’S NARROW DEFINITION OF ‘GOVERNMENT’ EVENTUALLY CAUGHT UP WITH HIM IN TERMS OF HIS FINDING OF A PRIMA FACIE CRIME BY THE LAW NOT BEING ABLE TO BE FULLY APPLIED?
KL: That’s correct. He said at the Recusal Hearing that if he defined the term “government” to mean “whole of government”, that is, departments and statutory authorities, then he would have to stand aside because it would logically mean that he’d have to investigate himself when he was the Queensland Crime Commissioner in 2001 when I saw him about the Harding Incident. He accepted that the law does not permit a party to an allegation to investigate himself.
In other words, after setting the parameters, he couldn’t apply the full scope of section 7 to the prima face shredding crime without breaching his own narrow definition of “government” to just mean “the political executive” because once the floodgates opened, it flooded everywhere and everything.
The Rofe QC Audit, to all intents and purposes, is the systemic cover-up flooding roadmap.

Full commentary and interview here >>>>>


6  MAY  2013 - A  DAY  TO  REMEMBER

Commissioner Tim Carmody
Commissioner Tim Carmody

Some days are just like any other but some may be pivotal in the lives of individuals, for particular issues or nations because of what transpires. This can be judged either instantaneously, prospectively or retrospectively.
On 6 May 2013, in Court 17 of the Brisbane Magistrates Court Building, never before heard arguments as to whether an entire Cabinet may be in serious breach of the Criminal Code were live-streamed to the world on the internet.  Specifically, they addressed the extraordinary legal question as to whether the 5 March 1990 order by the Queensland Cabinet to destroy the Heiner Inquiry documents and tapes to, inter alia, reduce the risk of legal action may have been illegal.
Despite it being nearly a quarter of a century since this shredding order, its legal consequences remain alive because no statute of limitations applies.
Presiding over the arguments was Commissioner Tim Carmody SC, head of the Child Protection Commission of Inquiry.

Full commentary here >>>>>


2012 SPECIAL COMMENTARY BY WHISTLEBLOWER KEVIN LINDEBERG

Whistleblower Kevin Lindeberg
Whistleblower Kevin Lindeberg

 

Over a long period this webpage has independently drawn together all material available on the public record which goes to making up what is now commonly known across Australia and around the world as “the Heiner Affair.”  The whistleblower, Kevin Lindeberg, is not responsible for its content although it contains most of what he has written about his public interest disclosures. He has never directly made a comment on this webpage.

However, due to recent dramatic events, he was approached with a series of relevant questions, and his response is

now published here.>>>>>

MOVING TOWARDS THE ENDGAME


Witness confirms pack rape of girl to Heiner Inquiry

John Oxley Youth Detention Centre
John Oxley Youth Detention Centre. Picture: Philip Norrish

Today at the Carmody Inquiry, the Rubicon on the Heiner Affair was irretrievable crossed.

A highly credible witness under oath, Mrs Irene Parfitt, former Youth Worker at the John Oxley Youth Detention Centre, confirmed the contents of her police statement that she told Mr Heiner about the pack rape of Annette Harding when she gave evidence to him in Brisbane Children's Court at North Quay.

She was, in effect, a whistleblower. She would not tolerate silence any longer over a burning issue at the Centre for many staff, and she believed the Heiner Inquiry was the place to make her public interest disclosure.  The assault was a matter which greatly disturbed her. Notwithstanding some time difficulties expected after the passage of close to 23 years, she clearly recalled telling Mr Heiner about the sexual assault of Ms Harding, a 14-year-old indigenous child while in the care of the State.

Full commentary here >>>>>


Should Commissioner Carmody Have Recused Himself from the QCPCI?

Alleged Prima Facie Criminal Count 57 of the Rofe Audit.

Commissioner Tim Carmody
Commissioner Tim Carmody

Section 87 of the Criminal Code - Official Corruption in regard to the conduct of certain officials of the Queensland Crime Commission in respect of their handling of the allegations by one Kevin Lindeberg and related matters at certain times-

That on divers dates between the thirteenth day of December 2001 and the thirty first day of December 2001, at Brisbane in the state of Queensland, one Timothy Carmody, to the extent of his involvement, being a holder of office in the Queensland Crime Commission, pursuant to the Crime Commission Act 1997, at material times, did corruptly confer an advantage on another in respect the handling of allegations by one Kevin Lindeberg by failing to act honestly, impartially and in the public interest.

You be the judge full account of Count 57 of the Rofe Audit here >>>>>


Heiner Affair News Articles

Print Media News news articles and reports >>>>>

Additional Heiner Affair Coverage

17/02/2011 Kevin Lindeberg Statement of Concern suggests fraud

22/06/2010 Statement of Concern II calls on Premier Bligh for inquiry into Heiner Affair.

22/06/2010 ASA and RMAA joint media release

Queensland Parliamentry Crime and Misconduct Committee

Other heiner affair commentary.

Downloads

MP3/Video Interviews

Radio 4BC
Radio 4BC 01/10/2009
Radio 4BC 09/07/2010
Radio 2GB 30/09/2009
Radio 2GB 29/09/2009
Radio 2GB 24/06/2009
Radio 2GB 23/06/2009 Video
ABC Radio Richard Fidler Conversation Hour 17/03/2009
Brisbane radio 4BC 20/03/2009
Alan Jones radio interview with Piers Akerman.
Alan Jones radio interview with Peter Beattie
Alan Jones radio interview with former QLD union official Kevin Lindeberg

Download PDF Documents

Crime in the Community

Forde Commission of Inquiry

Inquiry into Harmonising Legal Systems

Tasmanian Parliament Joint Select Committee on Ethical Conduct

Standing Committee Legal & Constitutional Affairs

Independent Monthly

Heiner Affair Home

Queensland Child Protection Commission of Inquiry

News and updates from the Commission of Inquiry can be found in this News Section of The Heiner Affair.info website.